Cameron at the Double in MS Win

Old Aberdonians 5 – 1 MS United

Division One (East) on Saturday 11th February at Balgownie

The Abos played their first league fixture since mid October due to a combination of cup games and poor weather. MS Utd were the opponents who the Abos had edged 3-1 in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

It was the away side who were quickest out the blocks and dominated the opening exchanges. Within 5 minutes they almost scored, reacting quickest at a corner only to see the close range volley hit the bar. It wasn’t long before they took the lead and it was the lively Robb who got the goal. The ball was won in midfield and the early through ball released the speedy striker whose finish past MacLeod took a slight deflection off MacArthur.

The goal seemed to spark the home team into life and there were a few half chances in the following period. Wilson had a shot saved, Stewart Fraser could only shoot straight at the keeper when through on goal, Cameron saw a couple of shots from the edge of the area miss the target and Rory Fraser saw his cut back find the keeper with Murt free in the box.

The equaliser did come, in slightly controversial circumstances. The MS right back appeared to win a clean tackle before accidently coming together with Wilson. The referee gave a free kick on the edge of the box and it was the Abos skipper whose shot went through the wall and into the net.

With their tails up they almost took the lead before the break. This time Wilson appeared on the right wing and his cross found Cameron who saw his shot well saved with the keeper getting down low to his left.

Half-Time: 1 – 1

It was the Abos who continued to look the more threatening in the second period. Robb was the only real threat for MS Utd but the Abos defence were looking relatively comfortable with Bruce showing a lot of composure in his unusual role at centre back.

A good move down the right involving both Frasers saw the ball played into Wilson on the edge of the box, his lay off was hit first time by Cameron but was just inches away from finding the top corner.

The pressure continued and after Cameron was fouled 25 yards out it was Wilson again whose well struck set piece was brilliantly tipped onto the post by the keeper.

As MS struggled to clear their lines it was Ashton who spotted Cameron’s run from deep and played the ball over the static defence into his path. With the away team screaming for offside Cameron had plenty of time to round the keeper and knock the ball into the empty net.

Within minutes it was 3-1, again it was Ashton the creator. This time his slide rule pass was perfect for Murt who held off the defender and poked the ball past the advancing keeper with the outside of his right foot.

Manager Creegan immediately made a change with Wyness replacing Rory Fraser and Ashton moving to the right of midfield. The change seemed to unsettle the Abos as they were all over the place for the next 10 minutes, unable to keep possession and under the cosh.

Having weathered the storm they did get another huge piece of luck to seal the game. Cameron played in Wilson in the left channel however his run was well tracked by his opposite man. The two players came together and although there was contact there were no claims for a penalty by anyone only for the referee to point to the spot to the amazement of everyone on the pitch. He then had to withstand a couple of minutes of major abuse from the MS players before Ashton stepped up and smashed the penalty down the middle.

MacLennan replaced Murt for the final 10 minutes and almost added a fifth although his close range header from man of the match Ashton’s excellent cross was comfortably saved.

There was still time for one final goal. The scorer was Cameron and it was a carbon copy of his first. Ashton played the ball over the top, the whole MS team screamed for offside then 20 players stood and watched as Cameron dribbled up to the keeper, nonchalantly rounded him and completed the scoring.

The 5-1 scoreline was probably not a true story of the game with MS matching their opponents for the first hour and being unlucky with some of the referee decision.

Full Time: 5 – 1

Old Aberdonians: I. MacLeod, B. Munro, S. Johnston, A. Bruce, I. MacArthur, G. Ashton, R. Fraser (S. Wyness), A. Cameron, S. Fraser, J. Murt (G. MacLennan) E. Wilson. Unused – R. Stainthorpe

Goals (Assists): Wilson (n/a), Cameron (Ashton), Murt (Ashton), Ashton pen (Wilson), Cameron (Ashton)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>